Writing Books/creative non-fiction book

I have made up my mind about writing my book, based on a true story, as a novel. The next part is how do I find the right agents and publishers? I have done a lot of searching and the categories under fiction don't show a specific label of this. I'm afraid I'll send my work to the wrong place. I want to make sure I send my novel to the right agent and editor who publishes novels based on a true story.

I appreciate any advice and help on this!

Hello Jules:

There is a wide gulf between "making up [your] mind about writing [your] book" and finding the right agent/publisher. Have you actually written anything? How many chapters? How many drafts?

The time to start thinking about agents (very few, if any, publishers accept works not represented by an agent) is when you have written your book to the very best of your ability, had it edited (it is hoped, by a professional). By the time you arrive at that point some agents will have closed up shop and others will have entered the business. The same with publishers. Up-to-date information can be found on the Net.

Normally, books must be "shopped around" to different agents, one after the other. It is a rare event when a book is accepted by the first agent to see it. Different agents represent different types of books; some may represent all types. I don't believe a novel based on a true story - and there are legions of them - would be treated any different than any other novel. A novel is a novel, whatever it is based on.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high scores over 1900+ questions.

And good luck with your writing!  

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication