Writing Books/legal help

Question
i was writing a book and it had some names such as Wii and Dodge. is it legal to do that without asking first? could i get sued?

Answer
Hi, Chandler!

It all depends on your use of the name. If your characters simply use public products, eat at fast food restaurants and buy name brands, then no. The problem can come up when you (or your characters) make disparaging remarks ABOUT the products. Your character staying at a Hilton Hotel, for example, that says what a crappy hotel chain it is and how the employees stole his money in the room, etc., could easily get you into hot water with the chain. You'd be giving them a bad name and they could sue.

However, it's fine to simply have your character use products just like everyone else in the world, and have a fondness for Pepsi over Coke, for example.

Does that help?  Good luck!

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp