Writing Books/querry letter requirements

Question
Hello again Cathy!
Thank you so much for all of your helpful advice so far. I have finally finished my now, two book novel and am looking at several agencies to try to get published with. While looking through submission requirements, I am coming across the same very confusing thing. They all want a query letter, which I understand, but then they also want a few pages. Some ask for 10, some more. All of these say repeatedly though, no attachments. How exactly do you send them several pages of your mauscript if they do not want an attachment? Am I missing some easy computer trick, or are they seriously asking for me to copy and paste the first 10 pages of my novel into a single email letter?

Answer
They are seriously asking you to copy and paste the first ten pages into the body of the email. It seems weird, but that's what they want. The annoying part is that once you cut and paste it, you'll have to go back through it in the email and add lines between the paragraphs.

What might help (at least, it's helped me) is to cut the ten pages onto a different screen and then save it as a separate document in "Rich Text Format." Instead of choosing "Save" or clicking the toolbar button, open the File menu and pick "Save As." Then there's a drop down menu where you can pick Rich Text Format. This removes all of the formatting information created by the software and turns it into just letters and punctuation. You'll lose italics and such, but that's what they want. Then you can cut and paste it easier and it'll come through better.

I'd suggest you FIRST create the email and send it to yourself. Then you can see how it will show up in the agent's inbox. Some ISPs do weird things to the text when it sends, and you'll want to see if it turns apostrophes or quotes into some weird symbol.

Good luck. It's a pain, I know. But once you've formatted it one time, it'll be good to go for whoever you send it to. :)

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp