Writing Books/Copyright

Question
Hey Jannie,

So I'm writing a novel and have come up with a question in regard to what I can and cannot say in the text.  Can I write about a character eating a Hershey bar, or is that considered infringement because I'm using the actual name?  Would I have to just say 'chocolate bar' instead?  Thanks for your time.

-Maree

Answer
No, it isn't infringement.

You can use Hershey bar, Coca-Cola, McDonald's hamburger, etc., as it is a thing even though trademarked. As long as the character is eating, using, participating there, and nothing derogatory or extended any further, you are alright. Always capitalize them and if possible, use as little as possible.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett