Writing Books/Genres

Question
What is a Mainstream Novel?

Thank you,

John

Answer
Mainstream fiction, which goes by many other names (like general fiction and literary light), is driven by a mix of genre fiction and literary fiction techniques. In mainstream fiction, the writer must have a strong “hook” or premise. The story must be readable (it must have a traditional plot arc and be relatively plot- and character-driven). Controversy is welcome, but it is not presented in as nuanced a way as in literary fiction. Insight and emotionality are important, but they are often of equal importance as the story.

Mainstream fiction tends to blend transparent language with occasional bouts of prose that feel more literary in tone. Writers of general fiction can have a variety of voices and write in a variety of styles, but all are accessible and not too difficult to read. Insight and perspective are important but should not overshadow story.

http://www.novel-writing-help.com/mainstream-fiction.html

http://www.writersrelief.com/blog/post/How-Do-You-Know-If-Your-Novel-Is-Literary  

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett