Writing Books/Mom wants to write a book

Question
hello!

My mother wants to write a book detailing her experience of domestic violence, drug abuse, and alcholism and how she got out of it.

I've written "books" before (I was an aspiring author when I was younger) but they were not serious..

After we've written the first draft, then what?

I am not sure how the process goes.. :)

Thanks

Answer
Hi Desirai,
That sounds like an important book to write and I wish you all the best with it.

The process is simple to explain, but sometimes difficult to make happen!  First thing is to find an agent. An agent who deals with the kind of book you are working on would be best. Literary agents can easily be found via the internet. I would suggest you find one who lives in your area or whom you can visit face to face. Establishing a good relationship with an agent is important, because normally only an agent can present your book to a publisher.

A good agent may suggest editing or structural changes. It is best to follow their advice, as they know what publishers require.

All the best with your project.

Sandy

Writing Books

Sandy McCutcheon