Writing Books/Mom wants to write a book

My mother wants to write a book detailing her experience of domestic violence, drug abuse, and alcholism and how she got out of it.

I've written "books" before (I was an aspiring author when I was younger) but they were not serious..

After we've written the first draft, then what?

I am not sure how the process goes.. :)

Hi Desirai,
That sounds like an important book to write and I wish you all the best with it.

The process is simple to explain, but sometimes difficult to make happen!  First thing is to find an agent. An agent who deals with the kind of book you are working on would be best. Literary agents can easily be found via the internet. I would suggest you find one who lives in your area or whom you can visit face to face. Establishing a good relationship with an agent is important, because normally only an agent can present your book to a publisher.

A good agent may suggest editing or structural changes. It is best to follow their advice, as they know what publishers require.

All the best with your project.

Writing Books

Sandy McCutcheon

Author of 22 plays, 12 bestselling thrillers, a memoir and children's fiction.I can work with people on the process of writing, what to expect and ask for from an editor. How to work with the publisher`s marketing and publicity people. And how to survive book launches and publicity tours!

Published author of 22 plays, 12 bestselling thrillers, a young adult and three non-fiction titles. Visit his Moroccan blog at for a look at his blogging work.

St Andrews, Helsinki University and other institutions. Adult Educator of the Year Award, Australia