Writing Books/word length

Question
Hi
Once you wrote "Literary works are more likely to be accepted short, but SF/F isn't."
I had two questions. What is your definition of short, and would the genre  where short novels were accepted include a vampire dective story?
What's the best way to find out if this agency will accept works of a certain length?

Thanks.

Answer
"Short" for SF/F is probably in the less than 70K range. A vampire detective story could either be shelved in mystery or in SF/F. A "short" novel for mystery is probably less than 60K.

The only way to find out if an agency will accept short is to have them read it. Simply don't mention the length of the novel in the query and let them see for themselves if it's okay as is when they read the full manuscript. If they think the story works short, they'll represent it. If not, they'll suggest changes to beef up the length and you'll have to decide whether you're willing to make those changes.

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp