Writing Books/Non-fiction involving family history

Question
I am currently working on a self-help book based on the growth I've had as the result of an abusive and dysfunctional childhood.  Are there legal ramifications for writing about my mother and stepfather as I outline my experiences and how they've shaped me based on how I was raised and what I was exposed to?  They are both alive and there is child sexual abuse involved, from one parent and other perpetrators.
Thank you for your assistance.  

Answer
If you want them to sue you for liable, slander, defamation of character, loss of jobs and monetary losses, etc. go ahead and use their names because they will sue you.

You cannot write a biography or any non-fiction book and use real names unless you go to an attorney and draw up legal permission and have on file ready in case....

You must change their names to fictional characters and state that in front of the book names are changed to protect the innocent and to protect against liable in case of possible consequences deriving from the likeness and similarities.

People often think they can write bios and use real people's names. It is done, yes, but those writers have permission.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett