Writing Books/Totally stuck!

Question
Who Wishes on the Moon
Who Wishes on the Moon  
I am a 17-year-old aspiring writer, favouring the works of the famous Nicholas Sparks and Sarah Dessen books. I love to write sad stories that are heartfelt and cause people to bare their raw emotion. But as soon as I gather together a single basic plot, it immediately is swamped with other ideas and becomes overwhelming to sort through. I have been going over the same idea in my head for over a year now, and only recently gathered up the courage to put it down on paper..
I have a basic plot, involving a girl, who's prestigious family background gives her many privileges, yet she strives to be a dreamer and is caught writing in every bit of her spare time. Also, a boy, who's calm, cool exterior compliments the girl's fiery, stubbornness. His passion for medicine is what brings the two closer when the young girl is diagnosed with a fatal illness.  I am very thorough in research in medicine to maintain a straightforward conflict without the loose ends hanging about only for people to knit-pick at them later. There are very detailed back stories to go with the characters to give them complexity, as well as small, significant details I would like to use, for example, a certain place the two meet in frequently in for long period of time, when suddenly one stops going to this place, causing a feeling of anxiety for the reader, making them question the character's choice not to go. There are several small things like this that I am having trouble with, the problem is that it will probably be hard to help me without hearing them all first.. Should I try to shorten the detailed back-stories and small experiences? Or strive to make them more vague?
Any help is greatly appreciated, I am nearing Christmas break and plan to do a little writing during the holidays. I hope some day to send it in to a writing contest in the future or, if possible, send it to an editor. A cover idea is enclosed in the attached image.

Answer
Keep the back stories/sub plots scattered where they leave off and continue in the real story plot, picking up the sub plots off and on as you write the plot unfolding. Don't forget, each sub plot must have a resolution whether ending in tragedy or well.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett