Writing Books/How to start with novel writing & improve writing skills

I want to start with novel writing. I can read, understand and write English quite nicely but my vocabulary is not strong and writing skills not like a professional.

Please let me know how to start. How to make writing skills professional?

Hi Rohit,

Congrats on going after your writing dreams!

In regards to improving your writing skills, you can:

*Attend writer conferences.  They are listed in online directories, Writer's Market, The Writer, etc.
*Join a professional writer's critique group.  Submit your stories/ articles to the group for critique.  Use the feedback to strengthen your skills.
*Take an online or offline writing course. Community colleges and professional writers teach writing courses.
*Sit down and write something every day.  This can help to strengthen your writing skills greatly.
*Read books that are written in the style/tone, etc. you want to write in.

Also focus on writing content that moves you emotionally, stories that peak your interest and keep you engaged.  A big part of writing involves "connecting" readers to characters, plots, scenes, dialogue, etc.  Content (what you write about) helps to move much of this forward.

All the best!

Writing Books

Rhonda Campbell

I can answer questions on how to get published in magazines and newspapers; how to market your own books; how to earn a living writing; how to write press releases; how to find a good editor; how to edit your own books; finding a good printer; finding a good book illustrator; doing your taxes as a freelance writer. Questions I can't answer include specifics around working with a print on demand publisher

I have 36 years of experience as a writer (fiction and non-fiction). I am a book reviewer with Nielsen Media. I am a newspaper columnist and a reporter. I am a former radio station host and I am the editor of a literary newsletter, The Book Lover's Haven. I am also the author of more than 10 books.

Writer's Critique Group

The Trenton Times Philadelphia Trend Sisters in Style Essence Magazine The Pittsburgh Quarterly Obsidian II, etc.

I have taken numerous writing courses on book, proposal and grant writing as well as marketing and promotion

100 Most Admired African American Women Who's Who