Writing Books/Ideas

Question
Hello, I am 13 years old in grade 8 and I have alwase wanted to become a writer but I never can think of ideas! Some of my friends alwase come up with inspiring and deep stories I on the other hand usually end  up using a whole class just trying to find a decent idea. I also want to be able to create stories that people can really connect to and just go WOW. I am not sure if this question can be answered I might just not be good at writing but if you have any tricks for starting stories or some story ideas if you could tell me some it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!  Ps. Mabe if I write one could I email it to you and you revise it or give some feed back? Thanks again

Answer
Hello Cody:

Thank you for writing.

No one can expect you, at 13, to be able to come up with an excellent idea, write an outstanding, moving story around it, and be able to tell whether you have done so. It may take  years of study to learn how to write an effective story. Here are some tips to get you started:

1. Stay in school, and take as many composition classes as you can.

2. In the meantime, try to find some books on basic writing skills and study them.

3. Read as many stories as you can, isolate those that move you, that you admire, and try to figure out why you reacted so strongly to them.

4. Google "What is a story?" and study the results.

5. Start with paragraphs. Write a paragraph describing your school, your mom or dad, your pet if you have one, what you and your friends do for fun. Find out what makes a good paragraph and apply these principles to your own work.

6. Join up with a writing group (groups.yahoo.com is a good place to start looking) aimed at teens. If you can't find one, start one!

As for giving feedback on your stories, the best person to do this is your teacher.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high scores over 1900 questions.

And good luck with your writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand