Writing Books/Naming characters

Question
I'm trying to come up with names for two female characters. They are sisters to each other and are 16 and 15 years old. I have names for them all ready but their pretty lame and I'm wondering how important the name of a character is to the story. Meaning will the story stink because I've used weak names?

Answer
Hi, Jp.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Apparently, the email wound up in my bulk email folder. I don't know that the names of the characters are really that important to the overall story. Some people, even in real life, get stuck with odd or unfortunate names. Mostly, you have to decide whether the character names fit their personal back stories. For example, my co-author and I named one girl Holly. Her mother named all of the girls after flowers. So she had sisters: Iris and Rose (twins), Jasmine and Lily. While we liked Holly's name, it was the back story that really grabbed readers and made them like the character.

So, even if you don't like the names, if you have a good reason for them to be with a solid backstory, it's all good. If you don't like the names and DON'T have a backstory, then hit the baby name books. There are dozens available in any bookstore or library and can give you lots of good ideas. Good luck!

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp