Writing Books/Originality.

Question
As you've probably heard, Percy Jackson is now a movie. My rough draft was supposed to be about Hades and his twin sons taking over Olympus. Well After seeing the trailer for said movie, I said to myself, "Oh crud. I will get sued for all my keepsakes." I now am idea-dead. I have no ideas, but I am such a good writer. God gave me the gift of having a way with words and I want to use it to the fullest extent, but I can't come up with my own ideas. I will say, "Oo, that would make a good story," and then I think about it and it's always influenced by some book I've read. PLEASE HELP ME!!! D;

Answer
Hi, Jake!

I haven't read the Percy Jackson series but originality of idea is all in the DOING. If your idea is similar then it's absolutely in your ability to correct that. Whether you change the names of the parties, or how Olympus functions, it's all in how the world develops. Or, instead of using the Greek variation, go with the Roman pantheon (pretty much the same Gods and Goddess, but different names and different relationships).

Being influenced by what we read is actually the best thing that can happen to a writer. How many vampire stories have there been? How many shapeshifters? Every idea is overused. All you have to do is "tweak" it to make it brand new. I think if you change the names and read a few stories of Roman mythology (or heck, even Norse!) you'll come up with a bunch of new ideas. :D

Good luck!

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp