Writing Books/Trying My First Novel

Question
Hello,
I'm about 12 and since I was little I've loved reading, writing (all different types!) and recently I have started writing a novel. I'm confident about the plot and my style of writing but I just have one question. I am writing a romance/murder mystery book #I know, a little weird for my age), because I like those kinds of books, but now that I'm starting to get into the plot I'm worried that I don't have enough expertise for that kind of book. I've already had to look up on the Internet for a 'kind of' surgery. I don't want to have to start all over again after getting to chapter 3, but though I read lots of books, I can't find myself to think of any twists. So do you know what could help me? Hope you can help...

Thanks a lot!
Abbey

Answer
Hello Abby:

Yes, I do know some things that would help you.

1. Learn how to write. This means studying on your own plus taking all the composition classes you can in high school (does Australia have high school?) Pay close attention to matters of spelling, punctuation, word usage, etc., for these are the foundations of writing.

2. Read all you can, especially in the genre you most enjoy reading.

3. Don't worry that you had to look something up on the Net. Writers do research.

4. Recognizing your limitations is good. It is quite normal for a 12-year-old to lack expertise in completing a genre novel.

5. Start smaller. Write sentences, then paragraphs. Find out what constitutes a good sentence/ paragraph, and write and write until good sentences and paragraphs come natural to you. The subject matter isn't important.

Do these things until you get out of high school - or for the next few years. You will then be ready to move on to the next step.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high scores over 1900+ questions.

And good luck with your writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand