Writing Books/writing a book and using real names

Question
Can I write a book and use real names or do I need to use false names? Is it Ok to write a book and write about experiences I had and not use the names of the people who were evolved?

Answer
I am not an attorney, and an attorney may say people have a right to sue for any reason, and only the court can decide whether the case has merit or not. However, as an editor, not an attorney, I would say that it is okay to use real names if you are telling the truth. If you tell a lie or stretch the truth, you create a situation where a court may find you guilty of libel--that is, writing something about someone that is not true and hurts the person's reputation. If you can prove it's true, then you at least have the truth on your side if someone says you have told a lie.

The answer, then, depends on how you tell that story and whether it hurts other people to tell that story.

I change the names of people who might feel hurt, insulted, or otherwise unhappy to be named, but if the incident does not reflect poorly on a person, I use the real name. That's what I do; you can do what you want to do. If you are worried about being sued, though, your best bet is to clear it with an attorney familiar with entertainment law. Check with the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts in your state for an entertainment attorney.

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas