Writing Books/YA book and chapter length

Question
So I know I'm shooting for about 60,000 words with this YA fantasy, but how long are YA chapters? Is 5 pages okay (or too short) for a first "hook" chapter? The tone of this work is more light-hearted than even, say, Harry Potter, so I thought shorter chapters might be forgiven, but I don't want to write a whole book the "wrong way". Please advise. Thank you!

Answer
Katrina:

There really aren't any rules for chapter length, so I certainly wouldn't worry about it.  Your chapter should be as long (or short) as it needs to be.

The only exception I can think of to this is with certain publishers, but they are primarily publishers of formula romance books.  In some extreme cases, they dictate how long the books are to be, how long the chapters are to be, etc.  But this is by far the exception, not the rule.

If you have any ideas as to which publishers you might submit to, I suggest picking up the latest WRITER'S MARKET and looking at what those companies expect.  I doubt you'll see any chapter length requirements, but if they do have them, that's where you'll find them.

Good luck!

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales