Writing Books/co-copyright with employer

Question
My employer wants me to co-copyright my book since I will be writing it on company time as well as personal time.  I would have to split profit but would have their help in distribution and permission to use in both corporate settings and personal seminars.  Can you advise?  Are there templates for a contract covering this relationship?

Answer
When it comes to permissions and contracts, there really is not a template because each is unique.

What ever you both decided and agree mutually agree upon is written in contract form. I would suggest both getting a literary attorney (not a company attorney with their best interest at heart) and talk to him about your agreement and terms. He will draw the contract up and notarize and keep original, distributing copies to both parties.

Be sure your interest are protected. You are the author.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett