Writing Books/coauthorship

I recently finished a book that is written through my husband's perspective. Because we have a training and consulting company, it started as a business book, but turned personal when we were told we were trying to do too much in one title. Because it is a first person narrative, everyone thinks he wrote it. We will use this for exposure for our company (the book is inspirational) and so we can't just remove his name from the cover. Do you have any suggestions for how best to convey that I was more than a stenographer? Currently the author credit reads both names, my name first. Thanks.

I don't know the status of the design of the cover, but if it were me, I would put his name and mine on the cover, on the back, and inside in the byline (for example, by John Smith and Mary Smith), and I would add a paragraph to the introduction or maybe create a separate page before the introduction that says the two of us wrote the book together, but wrote it in first-person narrative, to keep it simple. (Or some other reason) Perhaps such an approach would work for the two of you.

Have you signed up for my free newsletter for writers? It's full of tips for writers, and it's easy to subscribe. Go to www.zebraeditor.com and click on "Free Newsletter" to sign up.

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas

Book Doctor Bobbie Christmas owns Zebra Communications, a book-editing firm in metro Atlanta. She not only edits books, she also helps writers power up their prose to increase their chances of success. She is the author of Write In Style (Union Square Publishing), a creative-writing guide that won three awards.

Bobbie has spent more than 40 years in the publishing and communications industry and has run Zebra Communications, a book-editing company, since 1992. The editor of many publications and periodicals, she has worked with book publishers and trade magazine publishers as well as working in marketing communications and corporate communications.

Past president, Georgia Writers Association; past vice president, South Carolina Writers Workshop; charter/lifelong member, Florida Writers Association; Southeastern Writers Association; Atlanta Writers Club; Society for the Preservation of English Language and Literature (SPELL); International Guild of Professional Consultants

Write in Style (Union Square Publishing), A Cup of Comfort (Adams Media Corporation), A Cup of Comfort for Friends (Adams Media), A Cup of Comfort for Mothers and Sons (Adams Media), Haunted Engounters (Atriad Press), Remembering Woolworth's (St. Martin's Press), First-Time Home Buyer magazine, HomeBusiness Journal, Apparel Industry Magazine, Edge Magazine, Atlanta Jewish Times, Time Travel Australia, American Writers Review, Points North, That's Entertainment, Atlanta Parent, Agnes Scott Alumnae Magazine, etc.

Journalism: University of South Carolina plus four decades of working in publishing, marketing, communications, advertising, newspaper and magazine production, book publishing, etc.

First Place, nonfiction, Georgia Writers Annual Contest, 2005; First Place, education, Royal Palm Literary Award, 2004; Best in Division, Georgia Author of the Year Awards, 2005; Finalist, Best Books 2005, USA BookNews Third Place, nonfiction, Georgia Writers, 1999; Nominated for Georgia Author of the Year, 1998; plus many other awards

Capital Books, Sourcebooks, Olin Frederick, The Writer's Machine, Russell Dean & Company, Outskirts Press, and hundreds of writers.