Writing Books/novice

Hi there, i want to write a children collection of books, with rhyming stories, i love rhyme and i love children's imagination. I have just finished my first one which consists of approximate 800 words, its the first in the series, about a house,animals, and the events of the characters who are resident there. I don't know what age group i am writing for??? and if my first story is set out correctly, and good enough, i don't want to waste my time, if what I'm writing is just not good enough, although i love to write i sometimes think my stories are really good, then i think i bet there not to others, i do really want to get it right, any advice would be so welcome, thank you for your precious time, it is valued and appreciated  xx

My best advice? Educate yourself about writing, about books for children, about the typical age ranges for specific types of children's books, and especially about poetry, which is not easy to write (or at least not easy to write well). Children's books may look easy to write because they are shorter than novels, but please understand they are not easy to write. Few people decided to write children's books one day and then sold a series within a few months of starting. Read books on writing for children. Take classes in writing for children. Read books written for children. Read the books that have won awards over the past three years. Join a critique circle of writers of children's literature and get feedback from the members. Practice, practice, practice, and keep improving and learning, and you may end up with a great series of children's books. Don't trust me; trust a better-known expert, Theodor Geisel, better known as Dr. Seuss, who said, "Writing for children is murder. A chapter has to be boiled down to a paragraph. Every word has to count."

In the meantime, sign up for my free newsletter for writers, and every month, you'll get free information you can put to good use.

I wish you much success!

--Bobbie Christmas

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas

Book Doctor Bobbie Christmas owns Zebra Communications, a book-editing firm in metro Atlanta. She not only edits books, she also helps writers power up their prose to increase their chances of success. She is the author of Write In Style (Union Square Publishing), a creative-writing guide that won three awards.

Bobbie has spent more than 40 years in the publishing and communications industry and has run Zebra Communications, a book-editing company, since 1992. The editor of many publications and periodicals, she has worked with book publishers and trade magazine publishers as well as working in marketing communications and corporate communications.

Past president, Georgia Writers Association; past vice president, South Carolina Writers Workshop; charter/lifelong member, Florida Writers Association; Southeastern Writers Association; Atlanta Writers Club; Society for the Preservation of English Language and Literature (SPELL); International Guild of Professional Consultants

Write in Style (Union Square Publishing), A Cup of Comfort (Adams Media Corporation), A Cup of Comfort for Friends (Adams Media), A Cup of Comfort for Mothers and Sons (Adams Media), Haunted Engounters (Atriad Press), Remembering Woolworth's (St. Martin's Press), First-Time Home Buyer magazine, HomeBusiness Journal, Apparel Industry Magazine, Edge Magazine, Atlanta Jewish Times, Time Travel Australia, American Writers Review, Points North, That's Entertainment, Atlanta Parent, Agnes Scott Alumnae Magazine, etc.

Journalism: University of South Carolina plus four decades of working in publishing, marketing, communications, advertising, newspaper and magazine production, book publishing, etc.

First Place, nonfiction, Georgia Writers Annual Contest, 2005; First Place, education, Royal Palm Literary Award, 2004; Best in Division, Georgia Author of the Year Awards, 2005; Finalist, Best Books 2005, USA BookNews Third Place, nonfiction, Georgia Writers, 1999; Nominated for Georgia Author of the Year, 1998; plus many other awards

Capital Books, Sourcebooks, Olin Frederick, The Writer's Machine, Russell Dean & Company, Outskirts Press, and hundreds of writers.