Writing Books/personal essays

Dear Susan,

I am an aspiring writer with a popular blog, hoping to make a debut as an writer. I write personal essays and creative non fiction. My question is this- how should I go about compiling personal essays and making it into a book? The common theme in my essays is humor but other than that they are as wide ranged as motherhood and dog bites while jogging! From the response I got on my blog, I know that readers like my work and my style. But if I am considering these essays for publication, should I take onyl the thematically lined ones ( ay essays on just motherhood) or can I take the best 25 of them in random order and list them with interesting titles? Is that how it is done?

Please advise.
Thank you,

Hello Oormila:

If you have enough essays on one theme like motherhood, you can certainly develop a book manuscript with them.

On the other hand, many - or most - books of essays contain many different subjects. And interesting titles would surely help.

In other words, it's up to you!

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high scores over 1900 questions.

And thank you for writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication