Writing Books/Book editting/revising

I've been writing books for some time now, but recently I've been convinced that it's ridiculous for me not to at least try to get published. I find myself agreeing, but I have little to no experience in formally editting my works, and I'm not about to send in an unpublished manuscript. The piece I'm thinking about using is an urban fantasy and runs around 65000 words. Any ideas you might have about getting the process started would be greatly appreciated :)

I apologize for being late in responding. I've been on vacation in Central and South America for a couple of weeks, but I'm back now.

You are smart to get your manuscript in its best form before attempting to get it published. You can, of course, turn to a professional book editor such as I am, to ensure you get a good editing job and helpful feedback. If you donít want to invest the money in editing, you can join a critique circle and hope that members will help you with editing the manuscript, but be sure they know what they are talking about, if they are not professionals.

If you have never gone through the editing process, I highly recommend using a professional editor who not only edits the manuscript but also gives you feedback and evaluates the concept, plot, characterization, pace, voice, and all the other elements of the novel. Check to see what you are getting for what you are buying before you agree to use any editor. Also check credentials and references to see if others are happy with the work of that editor. Anyone can say he or she is an editor, but choose an editor who has been in the business for five or more years and will give you names and contact information for past clients, so you can be sure you are using someone you can trust.

I hope you'll check out my credentials and consider using my services, but if not, I hope you find someone who gives you good feedback you can use, as well as good editing of the technicalities of the manuscript.

Be sure to sign up for my free newsletter for writers, The Writers Network News. Go to and click on the "Free Newsletter" box.

Yours in writing,
Bobbie Christmas  

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas

Book Doctor Bobbie Christmas owns Zebra Communications, a book-editing firm in metro Atlanta. She not only edits books, she also helps writers power up their prose to increase their chances of success. She is the author of Write In Style (Union Square Publishing), a creative-writing guide that won three awards.

Bobbie has spent more than 40 years in the publishing and communications industry and has run Zebra Communications, a book-editing company, since 1992. The editor of many publications and periodicals, she has worked with book publishers and trade magazine publishers as well as working in marketing communications and corporate communications.

Past president, Georgia Writers Association; past vice president, South Carolina Writers Workshop; charter/lifelong member, Florida Writers Association; Southeastern Writers Association; Atlanta Writers Club; Society for the Preservation of English Language and Literature (SPELL); International Guild of Professional Consultants

Write in Style (Union Square Publishing), A Cup of Comfort (Adams Media Corporation), A Cup of Comfort for Friends (Adams Media), A Cup of Comfort for Mothers and Sons (Adams Media), Haunted Engounters (Atriad Press), Remembering Woolworth's (St. Martin's Press), First-Time Home Buyer magazine, HomeBusiness Journal, Apparel Industry Magazine, Edge Magazine, Atlanta Jewish Times, Time Travel Australia, American Writers Review, Points North, That's Entertainment, Atlanta Parent, Agnes Scott Alumnae Magazine, etc.

Journalism: University of South Carolina plus four decades of working in publishing, marketing, communications, advertising, newspaper and magazine production, book publishing, etc.

First Place, nonfiction, Georgia Writers Annual Contest, 2005; First Place, education, Royal Palm Literary Award, 2004; Best in Division, Georgia Author of the Year Awards, 2005; Finalist, Best Books 2005, USA BookNews Third Place, nonfiction, Georgia Writers, 1999; Nominated for Georgia Author of the Year, 1998; plus many other awards

Capital Books, Sourcebooks, Olin Frederick, The Writer's Machine, Russell Dean & Company, Outskirts Press, and hundreds of writers.