Writing Books/Grammer/Puncuation

Question
Hello,

What are the rules for capitalizing government and military titles?
For instance, would I write:
"Hold him," the general said.

or would this be correct:
"Hold him," the General said.

What about when using the characters name?

"Hold him," General Smith said.

The same would apply for senators, representatives, etc.

Also, what is a good book on Chicago style?

Thanks.

Answer
Sorry for the delay in answering your question; I was in Central and South America on vacation.

Chicago Style, preferred by most book publishers, dictates that a business or military title is capitalized only when it precedes the name, as in General Smith. When using only the title, it is not capitalized. The correct usages are as follows:
"Hold him," the general said.
"Hold him," General Smith said.
“Hold him,” the senator said.
"Hold him," Senator Smith said.

The best and only official book on Chicago Style is the The Chicago Manual of Style (15th Edition), put out by the University of Chicago Press.

Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, The Writers Network News, for more free tips and information for writers. Go to www.zebraeditor.com and click on "Free Newsletter" to sign up.

I hope this information helps.

Yours in writing,
Bobbie Christmas

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas