Writing Books/General

Question
Hi...

I don't know if you can help me, but I would like to thank you for taking the time to read my question!

I am about 3/4 through writing my first book, and as I am nearing the end, I'm starting to worry about what steps I should take when it is finished! I have read many things online, and it is to my understanding that a literary agent would be the best way to put my book forward! Is this what you would recommend?? I am also a little worried about any costs that would be involved in this!? I would love to have a book published, but I'm really starting to get scared about how to do that! Any help or advice you could give me on this subject would be a great help.

Thank you again for taking the time to read this...

Answer
Hi, Tuesday!

First, you'll be happy to know that a literary agent shouldn't cost you a single pound! A literary agent makes their money by selling your book to a publisher and taking a percentage of royalties AFTER the publisher pays (usually 10-15% of the gross amount). If you're looking for a UK agent, the best place to start is The Association of Authors Agents (UK). This is a group that has as members ONLY those agents who are legitimate. They have demonstrated they can sell books and adhere to a standard of ethics in dealing with clients and publishers. Here's a link:  http://www.agentsassoc.co.uk/index.php/ You can look at the directory of agents at the top to find names in your genre/category of writing. Especially look at the Code of Conduct to know what an agent should NOT do and the Frequently Asked Questions page

Next, here are two books that will help you narrow down the list of agents even further. The "Writers and Artists Year Book" and "The Writers Handbook" should be able to be purchased at any bookstore, or can probably be checked out of your local library. Also check out the Society of Writers, UK (http://writers.org/society ) or the Writers Guild (http://writers.org/guild ) to find out more about the publication process in England and the US.

Hope that helps a little! Good luck with your book and feel free to ask any other questions you might have as you go forward. :)

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp