Writing Books/Can a fiction writer write a movie script easily?

Question
My question is: Can a fiction writer write a movie script easily?

From what I read, few screenwriters could write a good novel. How about novelists? If asked, can they write a TV/movie script easily?

Answer
Hi, Morgan!

Easily? No. Like anything else, script writing is a learned skill. But the skills that allow someone to be a novelist aren't the same as what is needed for script writing. The narrative techniques that allow a reader to "see" the scene painted are removed in favor of the treatment of the scene.

Novelists who are "visual" writers will have an easier time. A visual writer is one that plots the scene in advance of writing and can "see" it in their mind. Then, all they do is write down what they see. I'm a visual writer and know a few others. But for those who are "organic" writers, they'd first have to write the scene in order to visualize it. By the time they've created the scene enough to visualize, they've already written a novel, so why write a screenplay instead? LOL!

Now, that's not to say that a novelist couldn't learn how. It would take time and practice, but a good novelist would be able to take the skills already known and turn them into directions. Internalized thoughts that would let a reader know what's going on inside a protagonist's mind could become facial expression notations in a script.

For example, I learned to write comic book/graphic novel scripts, which are similar to screenplays in the direction given to the artist (instead of an actor.)

Does that help?

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp