Writing Books/writing my first full length book

Question
my friend and i have been working on writing books so that we may share our progress over the coming summer. i have my plot fairly sorted and detailed, and am working on character detail. my problem is, i don't know how to get started actually writing, like i don't know how to begin. any helpful ideas or hints? thanks.

Answer
The beginning is always the hardest.

Lets think of it like this: begin anyway... then think of it as "I will edit and revise, changing it until perfect as I go."

So, just begin, with the attitude and knowledge that it will be revised. Write, and as you write, the creativity will flow.

But first, to help yourself and your book; create a character profile. This is a creative process that will help you and make your characters 3-D and alive.

What the character looks like: color hair, color eyes, height, weight, etc. Scars? Tattoos? Crooked smile, straight teeth? Dimples? Ears too big?

Where did he/she come from? Where was he/she born? Educated? A farm or city or suburbs? North, south, etc..? Parents? Adopted? Orphan? What happened or what did his or her parents do and what were they like? Are they alive?

Is the character married or ever been married? Children? Tragedies?

Career? Love? Etc....

This is to be referred back to when writing using that character so you can be sure to stay true to him or her.

Create an outline: a story outline. What is the plot? What are the intended subplots? Let the character's interaction and personalities and experiences create subplots. This is commonly dilemmas, and the character's reaction and solution to the dilemma. There are always subplots happening within a good story.

Think of it as point A traveling to point B.

And just write.

You can cut and paste and put a paragraph or sentences in another area or chapter when you re-read and begin revising.

I revise after every segment of writing. Say I write a few chapters in one setting. Then re-read and edit, coping and pasting in appropriate areas. As you write, edit and go along, the story begins to become real and perfect. One sentence, one segment of character dialog can make it or break it if in the wrong order of facts and events. So just write and worry about that when some substantial writing has been written.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett