Writing Books/Setting

Question
Hi, Cathy!  Is it too risky for me to choose a real-life city or town for the setting of my story, especially if it's a city or town I have never been to before?  Or should I just create a fictional location to avoid any backlash from future readers?

Answer
Hi, Mia!

You can do either one. If you're writing fantasy, you can change nearly anything in a town in the name of "alternate reality." In your reality, that business didn't move to that spot, or the street name isn't right. But if you're writing contemporary fiction, you might be better off to create your own city/town unless you want to do a LOT of research. I've done both and I've found it's easier to create my own. Just search for big open areas on the state map you want to use and plop it down. Deserts, national parks and military bases are prime candidates for fictional towns because you can make the real place larger or smaller and readers won't much mind. For example, Yellowstone National Park contains 3,478 square MILES of land. Will anyone miss ten square miles or so for a tiny town? Probably not. Just put your town on the fringe of something and make that location part of the history of the town. Readers will be perfectly happy. :)

Hope that helps! Good luck with it.

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp