Writing Books/Using real names and places in fiction

Question
Hi Dorothy,
I'm writing a fictional novel set in the 1960's in the UK and also Australia. One of my characters is from a family with British Peerage. Upon researching I have discovered that my "fictitious" name actually exists. That is, my "Lord Whats-his-name" really does exist and even has his own website! The name just popped into my head when I was scribbling down the outline for the story.

Do I need to change the names now? Just in case I ever get published!!

Thanks for your valuable time.

Answer
Hello, Paula,

You could use the name you chose with a disclaimer in the front page of the book, or maybe change the name.  It all depends on how much that name means to you and, if you get published, how much trouble you wish to fend off if the owner of the real name has a gripe.  Even when something is legal, it may not be pleasing to the owner of the name.

If it were me, I would change the name and still use a disclaimer.  With one exception, I have always used ficticious names, and that time I wrote a long paragraph in the front explaining why I used the name, and asked understanding of others of the family.

My advice: change the name to save yourself worry while you write.

Happy writing,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris