Writing Books/fiction v true story

Question
I want to write a story about a mortgage crime that I witness and then turned in to the authorities. It is the biggest mortgage fraud case ever in this state. How do I tell the story and keep it real without using the real names and the role they played

Answer
Take a tip from TV.  Shows like Law & Order do this all the time.  A story hits the news, and they just change it enough to make it fiction.

They do this by, yes, changing names, but much more than that.  They change locations, genders, ages, nationalities, etc.  In other words, anyone familiar with the real story that inspired the show might see similarities, but that would be about it.

So try that, Sherry.  I'd begin by setting it in a different state, even a different type of setting (e.g., if it really took place in a big city, set it in a small town, etc.).  I'd change the ages of those involved, even their genders.  (And keep in mind that when you do this, you invariably change a lot of the story, since you'll be wanting to make the story fit the characters, rather than vice versa.)  

Hope that's helpful.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales