Writing Books/legality

I've been a massage therapist for 22 years. Seven of those years were spent at a prestigious spa, where I was intimately involved with several of my clients.

Recently - I finished a 50 page letter to my daughter in regards to my deceitful relationships. It's explicit and raw.

Although the letter names-names, it's more about the serious implications and consequences of my actions, and the chain of events that led to my demise.

Is it worth publishing? Maybe? It definitely makes for a good read. If published, can I be sued for defamation? One of the clients involved is an established attorney. She's liable to go ballistic! Another person mentioned is a well know rock star, with more money than God.

I would appreciate any advice.

My best advice is NOT to accept advice from a stranger on the web who doesn't know the backstory of your situation. Get thee to an attorney to ask this question because yes, you can be sued--for defamation, for libel and a host of other issues. There are publishers out there who will print it and the major publishers are well aware of the risks and carefully vet (check) every fact you present before they'll agree to publish. But a lawyer will be your best defense right now to decide whether you want to take the risk. If you can afford a lawyer, you can check Martindale-Hubbell, which is a worldwide directory of attorneys in all fields. They don't pay to be listed. Martindale is simply a service of the legal community. http://www.martindale.com . You can search by city/state and by speciality (in your case, an "entertainment" or "intellectual property" attorney.)

If you can't afford an attorney, there are some attorneys in nearly every state who donate their time for free or low cost to artists and authors. You can find a list of them here: http://www.starvingartistslaw.com/help/volunteer%20lawyers.htm

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp

I'm happy to answer questions about any aspect of writing novels, from the beginning kernel of an idea through completion. I can help with writing a query letter and synopsis to an agent or editor. I can explain publishing terminology and acronyms. I can also assist with questions about verifying the credentials of agents/publishers and how to proceed once you've been accepted for publication. I can teach the rules of formatting a manuscript, creating viable plots, characterization and flow in the following genres: romance, science fiction, fantasy, thrillers, suspense, horror, women's fiction, mainstream and mystery.

I'm a USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy and paranormal romance for Tor/Forge Books. Along with a co-author, I've published fifteen novels (combination of mass market and trade softcover) since 2003, and have contracts for four more books through 2011.

Romance Writers of America, Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, International Thriller Writers, Western Outdoor Writers, Horror Writers of America.

Tor/Forge Books, Western Reflections Publishing, BenBella Books, Running Press, Wild Child Publishing. Many others.

My educational background is limited to real life experience of publishing novels commercially for the past five years.

USA Today bestseller, Waldenbooks Mass Market Paperback Top 20 bestseller, Nielsen BookScan Top 20 bestseller, RT BOOKreviews Career Achievement Award winner, 2009, Book Buyers Best Award for Paranormal, Romantic Times Best Werewolf Novel, Write Touch Readers Award, EVVY Best Historical Chronicle Award, The Lories Best Paranormal. Many others.