Writing Books/Graphics for childrens' book

Question
Hi Sandy
If I find a publisher to publish a childrensí book Iíve written, will they provide a graphic artist to draw the pictures and the cover art or do I need to have all the drawings completed with submission? Iíve written 9 quatrains of rhymed verse. Lot of compliments on it but never tried to publish. Been encouraged to, so thought I might. And if I have to provide the graphics, is a 50/50 split with the artist on royalties (assuming itís ever published) typical? Thanks so much, Don

Answer
Hi Don,

Thanks for the question. It is an interesting one because I had the same issue with my only children's book. In my case I had to find my own illustrator and I would advise this as it gives you some control over the style of images.

As to the royalties, that is up to you to negotiate. I did a deal with the illustrator who received 30% of the royalties and 30% of the advance. However, it is entirely up to you and should reflect the number and complexity of the illustrations. Be aware that full colour illustrations will markedly increase the production costs of any book.

What you should do, before anything else, is get an agent who specialises in children's literature. A good agent will also sort out the kind of issues you will face along the way.

I wish you the best of luck.

Cheers

Sandy  

Writing Books

Sandy McCutcheon