Writing Books/Graphics for a childrens' book

Question
Hi Rhonda
If I find a publisher to publish a childrensí book Iíve written, will they provide a graphic artist to draw the pictures and the cover art or do I need to have all the drawings completed with submission? Iíve written 9 quatrains of rhymed verse. Lot of compliments on it but never tried to publish. Been encouraged to, so thought I might. And if I have to provide the graphics, is a 50/50 split with the artist on royalties (assuming itís ever published) typical? Thanks so much, Don

Answer
Hi Don,

CONGRATULATIONS on writing your book!

Publishers of children's books will generally provide the graphic artist for the book (some have in house artists that they use).  They'll pay the artist separately from the writer.  Your royalties would be 100% your royalties.

If you self-publish, you'll need to build a contract with the artist and decide if you want to pay the artist outright (most self-published writers I know do this) or split royalties with the artist.

All the best!  

Writing Books

Rhonda Campbell