Writing Books/Graphics for a childrens' book

Hi Rhonda
If I find a publisher to publish a childrensí book Iíve written, will they provide a graphic artist to draw the pictures and the cover art or do I need to have all the drawings completed with submission? Iíve written 9 quatrains of rhymed verse. Lot of compliments on it but never tried to publish. Been encouraged to, so thought I might. And if I have to provide the graphics, is a 50/50 split with the artist on royalties (assuming itís ever published) typical? Thanks so much, Don

Hi Don,

CONGRATULATIONS on writing your book!

Publishers of children's books will generally provide the graphic artist for the book (some have in house artists that they use).  They'll pay the artist separately from the writer.  Your royalties would be 100% your royalties.

If you self-publish, you'll need to build a contract with the artist and decide if you want to pay the artist outright (most self-published writers I know do this) or split royalties with the artist.

All the best!  

Writing Books

Rhonda Campbell

I can answer questions on how to get published in magazines and newspapers; how to market your own books; how to earn a living writing; how to write press releases; how to find a good editor; how to edit your own books; finding a good printer; finding a good book illustrator; doing your taxes as a freelance writer. Questions I can't answer include specifics around working with a print on demand publisher

I have 36 years of experience as a writer (fiction and non-fiction). I am a book reviewer with Nielsen Media. I am a newspaper columnist and a reporter. I am a former radio station host and I am the editor of a literary newsletter, The Book Lover's Haven. I am also the author of more than 10 books.

Writer's Critique Group

The Trenton Times Philadelphia Trend Sisters in Style Essence Magazine The Pittsburgh Quarterly Obsidian II, etc.

I have taken numerous writing courses on book, proposal and grant writing as well as marketing and promotion

100 Most Admired African American Women Who's Who