Writing Books/Graphics for a childrens' book

Question
Hi Jannie
If I find a publisher to publish a childrensí book Iíve written, will they provide a graphic artist to draw the pictures and the cover art or do I need to have all the drawings completed with submission? Iíve written 9 quatrains of rhymed verse. Lot of compliments on it but never tried to publish. Been encouraged to, so thought I might. And if I have to provide the graphics, is a 50/50 split with the artist on royalties (assuming itís ever published) typical? Thanks so much, Don

Answer
You don't need a graphic artist until you have a publishing contract.

Once you are signed, then you hire a children's graphic artist.

You pay the artist a flat fee for the work- not royalties.

You do not submit art work with the manuscript submission.

Some traditional publishers can recommend graphic artists- some do not.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett