Writing Books/Graphics for a childrens' book

Hi Jannie
If I find a publisher to publish a childrensí book Iíve written, will they provide a graphic artist to draw the pictures and the cover art or do I need to have all the drawings completed with submission? Iíve written 9 quatrains of rhymed verse. Lot of compliments on it but never tried to publish. Been encouraged to, so thought I might. And if I have to provide the graphics, is a 50/50 split with the artist on royalties (assuming itís ever published) typical? Thanks so much, Don

You don't need a graphic artist until you have a publishing contract.

Once you are signed, then you hire a children's graphic artist.

You pay the artist a flat fee for the work- not royalties.

You do not submit art work with the manuscript submission.

Some traditional publishers can recommend graphic artists- some do not.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett

I am a published writer, Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing, specializing in novel writing, and creative writing. I can answer most any question concerning writing a book, plot and characterization, tighten the prose, and the editing process, and help advise with publishing and the requirements of obtaining a literary agent.

I'm a published writer, freelancer, and Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing for my two Online writer workshops.

Sisters In Crime Internet Chapter, The Short Mystery Fiction Society, and Brazos Writers Group.

Writers Post Journal magazine, May 2006 issue, Augusr 2006 issue, Nov/December 2006 issue and soon in 2008, On A Whim, flash fiction anthology, offered in Barnes & Nobles and Amazon.

Some college, creative writing, fiction writing

I have numerous clients using my service through my editorial service and numerous members in my Online writer workshops.