Writing Books/Originality in Fantasy

Question
Hi,Jannie I've been toying with the idea of writing fantasy for a while now. Even when I'm nowhere near pen, paper or computer I always find my mind floating back to it.

I have created a world, rich with culture various custom. I've worked out people's beliefs, the social ladder, fashion, technology, magic, past events and creatures that live in the wild. The only thing I really need is a proper plot.

I had a plot previously about the main character being tricked by his government into assassinating a treacherous spy who was hiding in the opposing country, only to find out from his companion (an uptight guard sent to accompany him) that the mission really wasn't about assassination, and was really about obtaining information from the spy about the whereabouts of a dangerous relic or unstable piece of technology that could threaten their homeland should a conflict break out. The 'villain' is also after the piece, wanting to use it as a tool to stop the civil war that is already occurring in the land.

I don't know, I do want to write about this subject, but fear that it might be a little too much like a stereotypical fantasy story and might not be as good as it could have been. I don't want to start writing it, only to find out that it isn't as great an adventure as I thought.

I wondered if you had any suggestions for turning the fantasy genre on its head? And do you think the plot I have just now is too much of a standard fantasy story, or that I'm simply worrying too much?

Thanks,
Steve

Answer
Hello Steve,

The answer is much more simple than you'd expect.

You have your main plot of the main character (protagonist) sent to assassinate a spy with the civil war between lands for whatever reason. This is his mission and your opportunity to develop him.

Then everything else is "subplots" within the main story plot.

This is when characters have their own lives, their own agendas, their conflicts and resolutions that effect the main character (protagonist) and his way of dealing with them and resolving them.

The more 3-D and alive your characters are, the more they write the subplots and story.

Try that, remembering the main plot, and allow the subplots to develop when the opportunities present themselves.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett