Writing Books/Writing about real people

I am currently trying to get a book published. I have written a novel based on the experiences I had as a young man and many of the characters in the story are based on the people I was around. I have changed their names, and many of the stories in the book are made up, but some are not.

(I write through first person in the book.)

In one part of the book, I use the exact details that I remember from my friend's mother's suicide. Now his name is changed as is hers, but it is that enough? Does any of it matter in that it is a work of fiction not an actual account?

The meat of the story- the facts and events, are not subject to copyright as long as the people, place, and names of any identifying clues are changed.

I would add a clause in the beginning of the book that it is a work of fiction and any resemblance ...... is coincidental.  

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett

I am a published writer, Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing, specializing in novel writing, and creative writing. I can answer most any question concerning writing a book, plot and characterization, tighten the prose, and the editing process, and help advise with publishing and the requirements of obtaining a literary agent.

I'm a published writer, freelancer, and Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing for my two Online writer workshops.

Sisters In Crime Internet Chapter, The Short Mystery Fiction Society, and Brazos Writers Group.

Writers Post Journal magazine, May 2006 issue, Augusr 2006 issue, Nov/December 2006 issue and soon in 2008, On A Whim, flash fiction anthology, offered in Barnes & Nobles and Amazon.

Some college, creative writing, fiction writing

I have numerous clients using my service through my editorial service and numerous members in my Online writer workshops.