Writing Books/Writing about real people

Question
I am currently trying to get a book published. I have written a novel based on the experiences I had as a young man and many of the characters in the story are based on the people I was around. I have changed their names, and many of the stories in the book are made up, but some are not.

(I write through first person in the book.)

In one part of the book, I use the exact details that I remember from my friend's mother's suicide. Now his name is changed as is hers, but it is that enough? Does any of it matter in that it is a work of fiction not an actual account?

Thanks!

Answer
The meat of the story- the facts and events, are not subject to copyright as long as the people, place, and names of any identifying clues are changed.

I would add a clause in the beginning of the book that it is a work of fiction and any resemblance ...... is coincidental.  

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett