Writing Books/book

Question
I wrote before my book, "Gone."

A) Is it okay to use similes? One author's opinion (from some website that supposedly quoted authors on how to write a good novel) is that similes should not be used.

B) Can I include celebrity names, public places (McDonald's, etc.,), TV shows, etc., in my book, or do I need permission to write those in?

Answer
Hello John:

I cannot imagine any writer saying similes should not be used. They are used, all the time. A good simile is invaluable in writing, used to conjur up images that help the reader more fully experience or understand an image the writer has used. The only caveat is: make sure they are fresh and new. Don't settle for the first one that comes to mind; it is sure to be a cliche.

As to what celebrity/place etc. names you can use, that is a legal question; your publisher will be able to help you with that. I have seen it done, but only sparingly. I don't personally care for it as I believe it breaks the spell the writer is trying to create.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high scores over 1900+ questions.

And good luck with your writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand