Writing Books/whats it all about?

can you give me a basic rundown on what it takes to get a small published article and then to move beyond that to making a living at it? what kind of material is best suited for actually selling manuscripts? I was thinking of either childrens books or high concept ideas like human sciences and the study of human behavior and/or political debate/opinions. is there money in either of those? or if a person simply has a passion for or a deep need for writing in general how long do you think it would take to get that going as a way of life and earning money at it?

Hi Peter,

Kudos on going after your writing dream!  

Non-fiction sells best (e.g. how to books).  I am not family with how well the topics you mention sell.  You might want to check out Bowker ( and Publisher's Weekly (  They keep track of trends, etc. in the book industry.  Bowker supplies ISBNs and they keep up with how well certain types of books sell by year.

You could also do a search in and see how well the types of books you want to sell rank on their sales records. I think top selling books are at the top spots when you do a search in Amazon.

You could also reach out to writers who have already published books in the areas you are thinking about publishing in and get their take on how well the books sell.

In regards to getting started as a full-time writer, you could be earning a full-time living in as a little as month.  It's possible.  Search and apply for writing jobs daily. Good sites are Morning Coffee, Media Bistro, Indeed, etc. Set goals as to how much you will earn each day and seek our companies that pay you enough to meet that goal.  

You might find it beneficial to read Writer's Market and books on earning a handsome income as a freelance writer.  You might be able to get them for free at your local library.

All the best!  

Writing Books

Rhonda Campbell

I can answer questions on how to get published in magazines and newspapers; how to market your own books; how to earn a living writing; how to write press releases; how to find a good editor; how to edit your own books; finding a good printer; finding a good book illustrator; doing your taxes as a freelance writer. Questions I can't answer include specifics around working with a print on demand publisher

I have 36 years of experience as a writer (fiction and non-fiction). I am a book reviewer with Nielsen Media. I am a newspaper columnist and a reporter. I am a former radio station host and I am the editor of a literary newsletter, The Book Lover's Haven. I am also the author of more than 10 books.

Writer's Critique Group

The Trenton Times Philadelphia Trend Sisters in Style Essence Magazine The Pittsburgh Quarterly Obsidian II, etc.

I have taken numerous writing courses on book, proposal and grant writing as well as marketing and promotion

100 Most Admired African American Women Who's Who