Writing Books/Addressing an Editor

Question
Ms. Balliett,

I am writing internship inquiries to various literary publications. Some of these publications do not advertise for interns of have specific instructions for seeking internships, and provide only an email address for inquiries. How should I address my inquiries? Is it appropriate to address inquiries to the editors of small publications, or is it incorrect to assume that the editor wants to be bothered with these details? If I cannot find any name to associate with a hiring authority, what is the best way to make a polite inquiry? I've heard "to whom it may concern" is out of style.

Thanks,
Jill

Answer
You first should pick up the telephone and call and ask for the name of the person that is responsible for hiring and making decisions about internship positions.

Once you have the name, and mailing address, type the letter and print it out and sign it, then mail it snail mail.

When a professional receives mail, they read it, as opposed to an email that is disregarded. You have betrer chances of consideration and a response with a physical letter to hold, touch, and read.

Address it as any proper, professional letter.

Name, position
Company
Company address
City, State, zip code

Dear___________,

The body of the letter...........

Respectfully,

(skip some space to allow for your physical signature)
your typed name  

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett