Writing Books/Addressing an Editor

Ms. Balliett,

I am writing internship inquiries to various literary publications. Some of these publications do not advertise for interns of have specific instructions for seeking internships, and provide only an email address for inquiries. How should I address my inquiries? Is it appropriate to address inquiries to the editors of small publications, or is it incorrect to assume that the editor wants to be bothered with these details? If I cannot find any name to associate with a hiring authority, what is the best way to make a polite inquiry? I've heard "to whom it may concern" is out of style.

You first should pick up the telephone and call and ask for the name of the person that is responsible for hiring and making decisions about internship positions.

Once you have the name, and mailing address, type the letter and print it out and sign it, then mail it snail mail.

When a professional receives mail, they read it, as opposed to an email that is disregarded. You have betrer chances of consideration and a response with a physical letter to hold, touch, and read.

Address it as any proper, professional letter.

Name, position
Company address
City, State, zip code

The body of the letter...........

(skip some space to allow for your physical signature)
your typed name  

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett

I am a published writer, Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing, specializing in novel writing, and creative writing. I can answer most any question concerning writing a book, plot and characterization, tighten the prose, and the editing process, and help advise with publishing and the requirements of obtaining a literary agent.

I'm a published writer, freelancer, and Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing for my two Online writer workshops.

Sisters In Crime Internet Chapter, The Short Mystery Fiction Society, and Brazos Writers Group.

Writers Post Journal magazine, May 2006 issue, Augusr 2006 issue, Nov/December 2006 issue and soon in 2008, On A Whim, flash fiction anthology, offered in Barnes & Nobles and Amazon.

Some college, creative writing, fiction writing

I have numerous clients using my service through my editorial service and numerous members in my Online writer workshops.