Writing Books/inspired by real events

Question
I am working on a book inspired by real events.  Some of the real life characters have agreed to interviews.  Some of the material will have to be fictionalized.  What can I do to prevent being sued for libel?  Is it enough to disclose 'inspired by real events, some of the material has been fictionalized' in a preface?  I don't have any intention of saying anything negative about those involved.  I do however want to include information on real events and actual places.

Answer
An attorney can make what you say is not negative into a negative in a court for libel.

So, don't put yourself at risk-- some people will make something out of nothing and see $$$$ signs....

....get written, notarized permission to use any factual information about the real names of people interviewed "if they give you" their written permission to use their names.

Anything non-fiction requires written permission, preferably a contract drawn up by an attorney for these people to sign, otherwise, keep it all fiction.

A clause as you mentioned is some minuscule protection- but not enough.

A writer always has to fictionalize some to improve the non-fiction, just as in movies based on real stories.  

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett