Writing Books/Where to set a novel

Question
Hello Jannie, I'm about to commence my second novel which I intend to set in Mali and France, but I have never been to those countries. I need some background information. I'm an African writer and the story is somewhat African, so I can patch some things up. But I need some ordinary details like house descriptions, food, streets, clothes, etc to use. I intend to travel briefly to these two places at the height of my research, but don't know if it's a wise idea.
Thanks.

Answer
What is the question?

Do not write about places you haven't been or lived unless you do extensive research.

This includes geographical data, weather and climate, the terrain and territories, the people; social & cultural, the history, the current history; everything.

If you do that, then you might pull it off. Otherwise, write in locales and settings that you know.

Author Stephen King is from Maine, USA, and writes every novel in Maine settings- always. Dean R. Koontz is from California, USA, and writes all of his novels set in California. This is a must.

Very few writers can write about unfamiliar places.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett