Writing Books/use of real names in publishing

Question
In writing a fictional novel, fictional main characters, but set in a true historical setting I want to refer to the historical figures by their real names. One such individual died in 2009. I think that the history is just that, that is the way the events happened and to separate the real people or change their names would ruin the story.  All of the characteres to which I refer are deceased and their records prominent in many historical records. I think about the movie Titanic in which Kathy Bates played Molly Brown who actually was on the ship. However her relationship with DiCaprio (Jack) and Winslet (Rose) was a fictional story. I think it must be OK to use the real name. Please advise. MMcCoy

Answer
The movie Titanic had written permission by surviving family who received royalties.

Unless you have surviving family's written permission to use the deceased real names, you cannot.

Using real names without permission can lead to liable; slander, defamation of character, etc.

Sorry.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett