Writing Books/Chapter length and pacing

Question
I've been writing a book for about half year now first draft after planning and working on ideas since I was 14 and I have become disheartened and disappointed with what I have written. It might be me being my own worst critic but I find my chapters too short and pacing far too quick. I've tried writing longer but that seems to be a fast track to writers block with me, I lose interest in writing and I seem to be going around in circles rewriting the same chapters over and over again. The book is a cross between a fantasy novel and an action thriller.

So far I've written over 80,000 words and my longest chapters are 2,000 words and my shortest barely a page at a 250 words. Any advice, ideas or help would be great thank you.

Answer
Hi, Mark!

When you say you've written 80K words, what does that mean as far as the plot? For a fantasy novel, you probably only need another 10K-15K words to finish up for today's marketplace. In my own 100K books, I vary between 25 and 35 chapters (one was as low as 18 and one as high as 42). In other words, chapters vary in length. They just do, because it comes down to where you're splitting the action.

What motivates you to end a chapter? Are you changing viewpoints of characters, moving in time or place to another point of action, or even ramping up the tension in the middle of an action scene? It might be you're splitting the chapters just right for what you're doing, or it might be a scene break would be a better use of the shift, rather than a chapter break. Do you use scene breaks at all, or just chapter breaks?

Give me a little more information and I might be able to help! :D

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp