Writing Books/Literary Agents

Hi Cathy! I've been submitting my query (suspense) to some agents, but am having trouble finding many that prefer commercial fiction to literary. (Must sound silly, after all they ARE literary agents!) When visiting the sites of several that presume to like genre fiction, etc., I don't recognize any of the books they've published, and they don't appear to be the type that are popular in the local bookstores-such as Joy Fielding, Carla Neggers, Erica Spindler, James Patterson, etc. (Did find Lisa Gardner's!) I've looked inside the covers of many of my novels and the majority don't have agents listed under the acknowledgments. Would you know of any good links to guide me in the proper direction? I did find Jack King's list of agents which helped a great deal. You always have wonderful advice. Thank you and have a great day!

Hi, Carol!

I've had good luck with two different websites.

AgentQuery ( can search by genre and is kept very up to date.
QueryTracker ( can not only search by genre but by AUTHOR. So, plug in the author's name and you're likely to get the agent who represents them.

Hope that helps! Good luck.

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp

I'm happy to answer questions about any aspect of writing novels, from the beginning kernel of an idea through completion. I can help with writing a query letter and synopsis to an agent or editor. I can explain publishing terminology and acronyms. I can also assist with questions about verifying the credentials of agents/publishers and how to proceed once you've been accepted for publication. I can teach the rules of formatting a manuscript, creating viable plots, characterization and flow in the following genres: romance, science fiction, fantasy, thrillers, suspense, horror, women's fiction, mainstream and mystery.

I'm a USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy and paranormal romance for Tor/Forge Books. Along with a co-author, I've published fifteen novels (combination of mass market and trade softcover) since 2003, and have contracts for four more books through 2011.

Romance Writers of America, Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, International Thriller Writers, Western Outdoor Writers, Horror Writers of America.

Tor/Forge Books, Western Reflections Publishing, BenBella Books, Running Press, Wild Child Publishing. Many others.

My educational background is limited to real life experience of publishing novels commercially for the past five years.

USA Today bestseller, Waldenbooks Mass Market Paperback Top 20 bestseller, Nielsen BookScan Top 20 bestseller, RT BOOKreviews Career Achievement Award winner, 2009, Book Buyers Best Award for Paranormal, Romantic Times Best Werewolf Novel, Write Touch Readers Award, EVVY Best Historical Chronicle Award, The Lories Best Paranormal. Many others.