Writing Books/Head Hopping

Question
I've written a book. My concern regards changing POV, time, location. I've read that you put *** when you've change a location, time, or POV. However, sometimes I'll have all three on one page and will have three different occurences of *** and that just looks odd and possibly annoying for the reader.

Isn't it enough to change POV, but just ensure the paragraph begins with something like, Scott thought or Scott looked at.

Or, instead of *** putting, The next morning...

Any advice ensuring reader knows time/location or POV has/will change without putting ***?

Answer
I've been writing for thirty years and haven't ever read a nook using ***

Do not do that.

If a writer is not good enough to write in different points of view (and few are) in an eloquent transistion between POVs, then do not attempt it.

You should be able to write in the third person narrative and transistion into a character's point of view simply using the narrative to take the reader into that and using the character.

Google third person narrative books with different POVs and see how they transition.

I have a novel with main characters that go into their POV frequently using the third person narrative to transisition, and character dialog with their POV thoughts and even, flashing back to the past and coming back into the present, etc.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett