Writing Books/Creating characters who are individuals

Question
Dear Sir,

Do you have any tips for writing characters with a distinctive sense of humour when it does not come naturally to the author to be witty/jokey themselves? More broadly, how do you give characters their individual "voice"/personality without letting too much of yourself bleed through into the writing? Are there any guidelines/rules that one can follow as a safeguard against making all of one's characters the same?

Thank you for your help, and I look forward to your reply.

Regards, Dominic

Answer
Dominic:

Writing humor when it doesn't come naturally to you would be, I imagine, quite difficult.  Especially when you want the sense of humor to be, as you put it, distinctive.  You could always study a particular person who has the sort of sense of humor you want for your character, then try to model it on that.  I don't know if that's the best approach, but it's certainly one you could use.  It wouldn't have to be a famous comedian, either.  It might just be a friend you find hilarious.

A character's voice, much like your authorial voice, will come with practice.  This is something many instructors fail to mention: even if you have a natural talent for writing, it's going to take a lot of writing before you actually develop the proper skills.  I can create individual characters that are quite distinct from each other very easily, today.  But when I first started out, that was much harder to do.  It's something that comes with time.  You can't really rush it.

That being said, I'll share with you the single most important piece of advice I can give you about character development (including voice): Get to know them!  By this, I mean that you need to really KNOW your character.  You need to know FAR more detail about them than you're ever going to reveal in your stories.  A character doesn't fall into your head fully-formed.  You begin with an idea, maybe a set of traits.  But where did those traits come from?  What events in the past led to their development?  And what events led to those events?  You should know about a character's childhood, what school was like, who his friends were, when she first had sex and with whom, what religion he is, how she feels about political and social issues, and so on.  Most of this stuff is unlikely to have anything to do with your plot.  But believe me... the better you know your characters, the more authentic they will seem on the page.  

Hope that's helpful!

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales