Writing Books/A question about the publishers

My question is about publishing right.

Let's say you manage to have a book published by a legitimate publisher. What will happen after 5, 10, 20 years later? Will a reprint be published and distributed by that same publisher only? Can you send that same book to another publisher as the years pass?

Thank you.

Hi Kevin,

Congratulations on the publication of your book!  

In regards to reprint rights, it depends on what type of contract you signed.  If you signed a contract giving the publishing exclusive rights to your manuscript for 5 years, after 5 years all rights should revert to you and you can publish the manuscript with another publisher if you choose.  

It depends on what's written in the contract you signed with the first publisher.

Even if you signed a contract giving the publisher "indefinite" rights, you may be able to renegotiate a better deal.

Happy Holidays!

Writing Books

Rhonda Campbell

I can answer questions on how to get published in magazines and newspapers; how to market your own books; how to earn a living writing; how to write press releases; how to find a good editor; how to edit your own books; finding a good printer; finding a good book illustrator; doing your taxes as a freelance writer. Questions I can't answer include specifics around working with a print on demand publisher

I have 36 years of experience as a writer (fiction and non-fiction). I am a book reviewer with Nielsen Media. I am a newspaper columnist and a reporter. I am a former radio station host and I am the editor of a literary newsletter, The Book Lover's Haven. I am also the author of more than 10 books.

Writer's Critique Group

The Trenton Times Philadelphia Trend Sisters in Style Essence Magazine The Pittsburgh Quarterly Obsidian II, etc.

I have taken numerous writing courses on book, proposal and grant writing as well as marketing and promotion

100 Most Admired African American Women Who's Who