Writing Books/A question about the publishers

My question is about publishing right.

Let's say you manage to have a book published by a legitimate publisher. What will happen after 5, 10, 20 years later? Will a reprint be published and distributed by that same publisher only? Can you send that same book to another publisher as the years pass?

Thank you.

Hi, Kevin!

The answer depends entirely on the contract you sign. Generally speaking, a publisher has the right to publish until the contract expires. That can be a few years to the full term of the copyright. It entirely depends on the wording. However, often there's a clause that if they've stopped producing new reprints and the bookstores aren't selling them anymore, the rights will revert back to the author (usually called "Reversion Rights" in the contract.) Thereafter, you can sell the book to a new publisher.

Does that help?

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp

I'm happy to answer questions about any aspect of writing novels, from the beginning kernel of an idea through completion. I can help with writing a query letter and synopsis to an agent or editor. I can explain publishing terminology and acronyms. I can also assist with questions about verifying the credentials of agents/publishers and how to proceed once you've been accepted for publication. I can teach the rules of formatting a manuscript, creating viable plots, characterization and flow in the following genres: romance, science fiction, fantasy, thrillers, suspense, horror, women's fiction, mainstream and mystery.

I'm a USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy and paranormal romance for Tor/Forge Books. Along with a co-author, I've published fifteen novels (combination of mass market and trade softcover) since 2003, and have contracts for four more books through 2011.

Romance Writers of America, Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, International Thriller Writers, Western Outdoor Writers, Horror Writers of America.

Tor/Forge Books, Western Reflections Publishing, BenBella Books, Running Press, Wild Child Publishing. Many others.

My educational background is limited to real life experience of publishing novels commercially for the past five years.

USA Today bestseller, Waldenbooks Mass Market Paperback Top 20 bestseller, Nielsen BookScan Top 20 bestseller, RT BOOKreviews Career Achievement Award winner, 2009, Book Buyers Best Award for Paranormal, Romantic Times Best Werewolf Novel, Write Touch Readers Award, EVVY Best Historical Chronicle Award, The Lories Best Paranormal. Many others.