Writing Books/Dialogue format

Question

I am currently writing a children picture book and I was wondering if I had written the dialogue in the proper format, concerning indentation and such.

Here is a sample passage:

Paragraph ends.
    One day, as he was eating some grass, a cheetah appeared before his eyes.
    “Hi,” said the cheetah.
    “Hello,” Tortoise answered, surprised at this rare encounter.
    “I’m hungry,” said the cheetah, “do you have any meat?”
Tortoise looked around but didn’t see any meat.
    “I’m afraid not,” Tortoise replied, “but you can have some of this grass.”
    The cheetah sat down, and the two of them shared some grass in silence. Then, as Tortoise was finishing a mouthful of delicious grass, he asked the cheetah,
    “Who are you exactly?”
    “Cheetah,” said the cheetah.
    “And where are you from?”, asked Tortoise thinking, ‘How did this cheetah arrived here?’.
    “I don’t know…exactly,” answered the cheetah.

Thank you.

Answer
Ben:

Here's how it should be written.  After changes, I'll put the explanation for the changes in brackets.

Paragraph ends.
   One day, as he was eating some grass, a cheetah appeared before his eyes. “Hi,” said the cheetah. [Though not technically wrong, there's no need to begin a new paragraph when the cheetah first speaks.]
   “I’m hungry,” said the cheetah. “Do you have any meat?” ["I'm hungry" and "Do you have any meat?" are two distinct sentences, and should not be connected with a comma.]
   Tortoise looked around but didn’t see any meat. [Tortoise begins a new paragraph.] “I’m afraid not,” Tortoise replied, “but you can have some of this grass.”
   The cheetah sat down, and the two of them shared some grass in silence. Then, as Tortoise was finishing a mouthful of delicious grass, he asked the cheetah, “Who are you, [Need a comma before "exactly."] exactly?” [Same paragraph as before, not a new line.]
   “Cheetah,” said the cheetah.
   “And where are you from?” [Since you have the question mark, you do not need the comma.] asked Tortoise, [Need a comma here.] thinking, ‘How did this cheetah arrive [Deleted the "d" typo.] here?’ [No period here, for the same reason: already had a question mark.]
   “I don’t know…exactly,” answered the cheetah. [The use of the ellipsis to indicate hesitation on Cheetah's part is probably not the best way to do it.  It's fine, and I use the ellipsis a lot (too much), but a better way might be this: "I don't know," the cheetah said, frowning, "exactly."  There are even better ways to do it, but that's just one option.]

Hope that's helpful.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales