Writing Books/Wanting to create my own worlds for my book

Ok, so Im trying to learn everything about our world, to better help me create new worlds. I want the freedom and ability to create anything I require for my new worlds, but the problem is that my knowledge of certain aspects of our world isn't that great. I was homeschooled and my books weren't the best. I also don't get out much. Can you possibly direct me to any reference sites, or books that will teach me about things such as goverments, civilizations, religions, and the sort?

Daniel, I can think of no better reference than the Internet at your fingertips.  Wikipedia is a very useful source, in many respects.  For good overviews on broad subjects, I also recommend the series of "For Dummies" books (and its imitators, such as the "For Complete Idiots" line).'s user feature, Listmania, is often a good resource, where buyers list their thoughts on best books on a certain topic (for example).  Buyer reviews of books are also very helpful for separating the great from the mediocre.

Hope that helps!

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales

I am a speculative fiction novelist (fantasy, science fiction, and so on). While I may be able to answer questions on non-fiction, my specialty is fiction. Please keep that in mind when asking questions.

For four years, I taught a series of fiction writing classes in Sacramento, CA.

BA in fiction writing.

My 2004 novel, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, won BEST FICTION in Fresh Voices 2006, BEST FICTION and BEST YA FICTION in the NCPA Book Awards, and placed as a finalist in BEST BOOKS 2005. In 2002, my novel WISH YOU WERE HERE won awards for Best Fantasy and Best Fiction/Drama in the 8th Annual SPA Awards. My latest work is a trilogy titled THE MANY DEATHS OF DYNAMISTRESS (a superhero memoir). The first book, RECKONING, was released in 2013 and won the SF category in the 2014 San Francisco Book Festival, took second place in the 2013 Royal Dragonfly Book Awards for the SF/Fantasy/Paranormal category, second place in the SF category of the 2013 Reader Views Reviewers Choice Awards, and was finalist in Foreword's 2013 Book of the Year Awards, Fantasy category. The second book, REDEMPTION, will be released in early 2015 and the final book, RENAISSANCE, is scheduled for release in late 2016.