Writing Books/how to begin a thriller

Question
When beginning a thriller, do you start the first chapter with action from the protagonist, antagonist, "villian if they're not the antaganist", or does it matter which character you begin your story with?

Answer
Jack:

Truthfully, this is largely a matter of personal preference.  You can do it either way, and it can be just fine.  That being said, there are a couple things to keep in mind.

Beginning your story with a good action scene is very likely to grab your reader's attention from the start, and that's never a bad thing.

And whichever character you choose to show first, you'll want to present them in the way you want the character to be thought of by the reader.  In other words, if you want the reader to like a character, show him/her in a positive light.  There are exceptions, of course, but they require a pretty solid reason for going against it.

Hope that helps.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales