Writing Books/Do we need to learn any tricks from James Patterson?

Hi, if I understand correctly, James Patterson is not really lauded by critics. Some say he is like a writing machine, giving out many novels a year.

However, he is still the bestseller author.

So if you want to write a thriller, do you need to learn from James Patterson?

Thank you

Hi Liam,
Sorry about the delay, but I have been flying around the world for the last week. Now in France and heading for Morocco!
As a thriller writer I avoid Patterson!  He is like a writing machine and has little to offer. Better to read Le Carre or the great Martin Cruz Smith.

Writing Books

Sandy McCutcheon

Author of 22 plays, 12 bestselling thrillers, a memoir and children's fiction.I can work with people on the process of writing, what to expect and ask for from an editor. How to work with the publisher`s marketing and publicity people. And how to survive book launches and publicity tours!

Published author of 22 plays, 12 bestselling thrillers, a young adult and three non-fiction titles. Visit his Moroccan blog at for a look at his blogging work.

St Andrews, Helsinki University and other institutions. Adult Educator of the Year Award, Australia